Are you ready for our tip today? We hope so!
As you know, we have been telling you that social media is undoubtedly the most significant marketing opportunity we have ever seen in our entire lives. It is so true!
But please listen for a moment. It must be done right. If you don’t know how to market yourself, simply setting up some junk page or ad campaign on social media is not going to do it!
Let’s talk about Facebook advertising today. It is very powerful and relatively inexpensive if you know what you are doing. But unfortunately there are some big mistakes being made out there as we speak. We will outline five of them – please avoid these mistakes like the plague!
1. Having a Facebook ad linking to your website. It does not take a rocket scientist to know that anyone that sees an ad on Facebook is already already a Facebook user. Probably an avid user, as we all are! DUH! Unless you are looking over your kid’s shoulder, you have an account if you are browsing Facebook! So when you place your ad, why are you trying to steer someone AWAY from Facebook and try to get them to your website before they even know who you are? Sorry, it doesn’t work! Slow down and simply use your Facebook ad to get someone to “Like” your office’s Facebook page. That’s all. The reason is that once they like your Facebook page and you are doing all of the things that we teach, you will have that person for life! And they will tell others!
2. Not knowing your market or how to target them on Facebook. Do you know who makes most of the dental appointments? Women do! Whether they are moms or empty nest wives, women are making the overwhelming majority of the dental appointments. And the beauty of a Facebook ad is that you can target the women in your exact area. Our opinion – don’t waste valuable money on targeting anyone else! Get the moms on your side and you will be a winner!
3. Using a bad image. You are allowed one image and one image only in your Facebook ad. Should it be a photo of you, the doc? No we don’t think so! We can do much better. Think about this for a second. Why is someone going to click on your Facebook ad? There is only one reason and we call this WIIFM, or “What’s in it for me?” So if the picture in your Facebook ad is one of the doctor and he happens to look like a mad werewolf with gingivitis, no one is going to click. Or at least not many will! But how about if you get a little creative and instead of an actual photo of the doc, you use that space for an eye-catching graphic? Ah-ha… much better now! We’ll show you in a second!
4. Uninteresting text. Again, we reiterate, there must be a reason that someone is going to want to click on your ad. As much as we hate to say this, people for the most part have no interest in clicking on a boring dental ad. No one gives a rats ass that you are the the most published dentist in your town. They really don’t care. Again, going back to the WIIFM principle, people DO CARE about a good daily health tip or a contest where they can win a free Sonicare toothbrush or perhaps some whitening! Information and contests talk loudly!
We have personally tested tons of ads on Facebook over the last couple of years and the ones that consistently do the best look something like the sample ad below (yes it’s just a sample but it was truly approved by Facebook). Check out our Facebook page and watch how our fan base keeps increasing exponentially! No one (except our students) is doing this creative type of marketing but please believe us that it works!
5. Having a B-O-R-I-N-G Facebook page. That’s right friends, once someone clicks your ad and gets to your page, there is yet another WIIFM. There must be a reason why they would want to “like” your page and check it daily. So mix up cool things like not only dental health tips, but spice it up with some video, contests, quotes and anything else you can think of to keep your new friends on your page for life.
This is how to make Facebook ads work and keep the community intrigued with you and your dental office. We are The Madow Brothers and we approve this message!