Today is “Senior Day” here in Maryland. Does that mean that the state is doing something special to recognize it’s older citizens? No – actually “Senior Day” here means that our beloved University of Maryland Terrapins are playing their final home basketball game of the season and our three seniors, including standout Greivis Vasquez are being honored. Too bad the game is against Duke. But it should be “Senior Day” in your practice as well – today and every day. So much is written about how great the Baby Boomers are as patients – but senior patients may be even better. Why?
- Many seniors are embracing the new phase in their lives and want to look and feel their best.
- Scheduling is usually easy as seniors are more than happy to take those harder to fill daytime appointments.
- Seniors are finished with the big expenses in their lives and are ready to invest in themselves.
- Got a pesky last minute cancellation? Senior’s schedules can be quite flexible and they will be glad to help you out.
- As seniors face challenges such as decreased salivary flow, their dental health needs can change.
- Seniors are usually a pleasure to treat!!!!!
Today’s marketing strategies tend to target families, working people and boomers. But don’t forget to attract seniors to your practice – they can be your absolute best patients!
Write a blog, article or press release geared towards senior’s dental needs and make it clear that you enjoy treating seniors in your practice. Have a section on your website dedicated to the dental needs of seniors and throw in lots of key words so seniors searching for a dentist on the internet will find you. (They are more tech savvy than you think!)
Try a booth at a senior health fair. You’ll be surprised how many people stop over to chat with you.
When asking your patients for referrals, we tend to think about the spouse, kids, co-workers, etc.. Don’t forget to target the parents of your patients. If they come up in discussion, make sure you let your patients know that you love treating this population segment.
If there is a senior in your reception area, chat it up with them and get them to make an appointment! Keep magazines such as AARP in there to make it clear your office is senior-friendly.
Get the whole team excited about this focus, and watch your practice grow with an underserved portion of the population who may prove to be your most enjoyable, pleasant, appreciative and lucrative patients!
Meet the Madow Brothers
Dr. David Madow
Influencer, Speaker, Author & Coach at The David Madow Lifestyle Show + Co-founder of The Madow Center for Dental Practice Success.
Dr. Richard Madow
International Keynote Speaker, Author, Award Winning Musician & Composer, Coach and Co-founder of The Madow Center for Dental Practice Success.